“Since PROMYS is a diverse community, I got the chance to learn about different cultures and how people study and think about math in different countries.” Zhiyuan Zhou, Yongren Fellow 2018
Over the past three decades, PROMYS has welcomed students and/or counselors from nearly 50 countries. While international students are welcome to apply for admission to PROMYS, space is extremely limited. Pre-college students who ordinarily reside in Europe may be eligible to apply to PROMYS Europe. Applications are open to PROMYS India 2023 for students in India. Students may not apply to more than one PROMYS program per summer.
PROMYS students are not enrolled in college courses at Boston University, so participants come on a visitor’s visa, not a student (F-1) visa.
English Language Competency
PROMYS lectures, discussions, and problem sets are in English. Applicants should possess English language skills strong enough to enable full participation. PROMYS does not require TOEFL scores; however, we will assess your English skills through your explanations on the application problem set, your answers to the short answer essay questions, and your teacher’s letter of recommendation.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Financial aid may not be available to international students and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you are an international student who requires financial aid to attend PROMYS, we encourage you to apply and submit a financial aid form by the application deadline.
- Students from China who need financial aid should apply for a Yongren (永仁) Fellowship, which cover the full cost of participation including travel.
- All applicants to PROMYS, both domestic and international, will be considered for a Breakout Fellowship, which is a full scholarship. Please visit Financial Aid & Scholarships for additional information.
- Mehta Fellowships to PROMYS are no longer being offered to students in India since PROMYS India is being launched in 2023 and will provide full scholarships for all accepted students.
Safety at PROMYS
PROMYS is a tight-knit and supportive community. PROMYS and Boston University (BU) have many procedures in place to safeguard participants:
- 24-hour BU security personnel to ensure only residents enter dormitories
- background checks for all adults working with students under 18
- mandatory Protection of Minors training for all faculty and counselors
- curfew for all students
- separate residence areas (2 students per room) for those who identify as male and female
- accompaniment from the airport/station to BU's campus