“At PROMYS, we teach by example. This doesn't simply refer to the importance of numericals: the best way to lead students through challenging problems is for one to persist through their own mathematical struggles.” Professor Ila Varma, Student, Counselor and Head Counselor 2004–2010
The PROMYS 2024 Counselor Application portal is now OPEN!
Applicants for the counselor position should be undergraduates studying mathematics at a college or university.
Counselors must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in college or university at the time of application. Students in any year of their undergraduate studies are eligible, including graduating seniors. Typically, counselors are undergraduate students. However, in exceptional circumstances, master's candidates have been counselors at PROMYS.
- Have authorization to work in the US (typically US citizenship, an F-1 visa with CPT or OPT authorization, or a J-1 visa).
Applicants are asked to provide the following:
- College transcript (this does not need to be an official transcript)
- Curriculum vitae (CV) and
- Two letters of recommendation from people familiar with your mathematical background and your work in university-level mathematics.
2) College or University Transcript. Please upload your transcript with your online application. This can be an unofficial copy. We are not able to process transcripts that are labeled "Secured" at the top or show the lock symbol. If your transcript is in this encrypted format, please send us a scan or screen shot as a PDF.
3) Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please upload your CV with your online application. It should include any relevant work or volunteer experiences.
To be submitted by RECOMMENDERS
4) and 5) Counselor Recommendation Form. Please ask two current or former professors who are familiar with your experience in undergraduate-level mathematics to complete this form. We strongly encourage you to follow up with your recommenders to ensure the letters are submitted by the March 15 deadline. Your recommendations may be submitted even if you haven’t submitted your application yet. Your application will not be considered until all components are received.
Please note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to request letters of recommendation. PROMYS will not be reaching out to your recommenders.
Counselor Application Process
The application deadline was March 31 at 11:59 pm EDT. Applications to PROMYS are submitted through Submittable. Click on the To Apply button below and follow the simple instructions to create your password-protected account. You will be able to save your progress on the application before your final submission. The Submittable platform works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. To access tech support from within the system, click on . For other questions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application asks about courses taken in university-level mathematics, any relevant work experience, mathematical interests, and why you want to be a counselor at PROMYS.
We strongly recommend that you create your Submittable account as soon as possible in order to send the recommendation request links to your two recommenders. You can request your letters of recommendation by clicking on the "Send Request Now" buttons. Please inform your recommenders that the link to the form will come from email@example.com and not PROMYS. Your application will not be reviewed until both of your letters of recommendation have been received.
Policy of Nondiscrimination
PROMYS does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin in the operation of its program or in its admissions, hiring, or financial aid decisions.