“At PROMYS, we teach by example. This doesn't simply refer to the importance of numericals: the best way to lead students through challenging problems is for one to persist through their own mathematical struggles.” Professor Ila Varma, Student, Counselor and Head Counselor 2004–2010
Counselor applications are closed for PROMYS 2022. Sign up here to be emailed when the counselor application becomes available for PROMYS 2023.
We plan to run PROMYS 2022 as an in-person program on the campus of Boston University. The health and well-being of our participants is the highest priority at PROMYS, and both PROMYS and Boston University take COVID safety seriously. All participants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to comply with COVID-19 protocols while at Boston University. We will share more details on these requirements as they become available.
Applicants for the counselor position should be undergraduates studying mathematics at a college or university.
Counselors must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in college or university at the time of application. Students in any year of their undergraduate studies are eligible including graduating seniors. Typically, counselors are undergraduate students. However, in exceptional circumstances, masters students have been counselors at PROMYS.
- Have authorization to work in the US (typically US citizenship, an F1 visa with CPT or OPT authorization, or a J1 visa).
Counselor Application Process
The application asks about courses taken in university-level mathematics, any relevant work experience, mathematical interests, and why you want to be a counselor at PROMYS.
Applicants are asked to provide the following:
- College transcript (this does not need to be an official transcript)
- Curriculum vitae (CV) and
- Two letters of recommendation from people familiar with your mathematical background and your work in university-level mathematics.
2) College or University Transcript. Please upload your transcript with your online application. This can be an unofficial copy. We are not able to process transcripts that are labeled "Secured" at the top or show the lock symbol. If your transcript is in this encrypted format, please send us a scan or screen shot as a PDF.
3) Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please upload your CV with your online application. It should include any relevant work or volunteer experiences.
To be submitted by RECOMMENDERS
4) and 5) Counselor Recommendation Form. Please ask two current or former professors who are familiar with your experience in undergraduate-level mathematics to complete this form. We strongly encourage you to follow up with your recommenders to ensure the letters are submitted by the March 15 deadline. Your recommendations may be submitted even if you haven’t submitted your application yet. Your application will not be considered until all components are received.
Please note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to request letters of recommendation. PROMYS will not be reaching out to your recommenders.
Policy of Nondiscrimination
PROMYS does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin in the operation of its program or in its admissions, hiring, or financial aid decisions.